The 2016 presidential election is ramping up for take off, with Democrats and Republicans both scrambling in search of their candidates. Hillary Clinton, among others, has already announced that she will be running.

 

With Hillary’s candidacy confirmed, the idea of a woman president has been a talking point for the media. Will people vote for Hillary just because she’s a woman?

 

 

Gender is not the only factor voters are considering when choosing their candidate. The 2012 presidential election gave us Republican candidate Mitt Romney; his religious background was under the political spotlight, putting his ability to lead into question. Southern Baptist pastor Robert Jeffress gave his opinion to CNN when asked about Romney’s religion:

“I think Mitt Romney is a good, moral man, but I think those of us who are born again followers of Christ should always prefer a competent Christian to a competent non-Christian like Mitt Romney.”

 

A man and woman hold up a large checkbox

We may be closer than ever to a female President, but should gender be the deciding factor when casting a vote?

64 percent of voters said that religion should not influence the political actions of a public servant, according to a Debate.org poll. The other 36 percent said that it is impossible for a person to hold two conflicting views on one issue, so it is difficult for religion to not impact a politician’s actions.

 

When it comes to making major decisions, most people will think with their gut and trust their first instinct. Knowing the major political issues and forming your own opinion on them is the best way to avoid casting a vote for a candidate based solely on their religious views or gender.

 

What do you think? Does gender and religious views impact a candidate’s effectiveness to lead? Share your opinion here or find me on Twitter @jesusgreaser