Concerns have been raised around Chinese tennis champion Peng Shuai, 35, in early November, after a former top leader of the country accused him of forcing her to have sex. Since then, the former world No. 1 player in the doubles division has not appeared in public. Violence against women worldwide has been the first allegation leveled against senior Chinese Communist Party officials since #MeToo began.
On November 2, a brief message posted on the player’s official Weibo account (equivalent to Twitter in China) reveals his extramarital affair with the former deputy prime minister. Zhang Cowley.
The text alleges that from 2013 to 2018, one of China’s seven most powerful politicians was raped. Peng Shuai, Before making her his mistress. Zhang Goli, now in his seventies, did not react to the reports. It is not clear if this post was privately posted by Peng Shuai.
With Where is #PengShuai, The tennis community has raised concerns on social media about the fate of Chinese player Peng Shuai, who went missing ten days after being fired, accusing him of raping one of his country’s leaders on his Weibo account. #AFP pic.twitter.com/J1zz3InWow
– Agencies France-Press (afpfr) November 14, 2021
The message of the champion was quickly removed, but the screenshots were taken. These are quickly and still being audited on the Chinese Internet.
The indictment brought by Peng Shuai was posted on Twitter – blocked in China – which allowed him to know A global echo. In China, the name Peng Shuai Internet search results still appear, but searches involving Case and Player and Zhang Goli have yielded no results.
Not yet verified. A woman named Feng Shui has now given up the experience of missing out with former Chinese Deputy Prime Minister Zhang Gaoli in Weibo. pic.twitter.com/t6v1ijMn2c
– Wushuang Li (uWuuuPhDNot) November 2, 2021
On Twitter, the hashtag Where is #PengShuai Has grown. The world’s greatest tennis players used this to express their concern about him.
. Where is #PengShuai pic.twitter.com/51qcyDtzLq
– Naomi Osaka Naomi Osaka (naomiosaka) November 16, 2021
Naomi Osaka, the former No. 1 athlete in the world, said, “I was shocked by this situation.” “Indeed, his disappearance is shocking,” world No. 1 Novak Djokovic told reporters.
I was devastated and shocked to hear the news about my colleague Peng Shuai. I hope she is safe and will be found soon. To investigate this, we must not remain silent. Sends love to her and her family during this incredibly difficult time. # Where is Ispengwai pic.twitter.com/GZG3zLTSC6
– Serena Williams (@serenawilliams) November 18, 2021
Serena Williams of the United States said she was “shocked and saddened.” “This should be investigated, we should not be silent,” the American wrote on Twitter.
We did the Beijing and London games together.
Today, like the overall sports community, I care about Peng Shuai. We demand the greatest transparency in his situation. Where is #PengShuai pic.twitter.com/rfcVr2ZiAH
– Tony Estanguet – OLY (TonyEstanguet) November 19, 2021
“I hope she’s found out soon, because we’re not talking about a tennis match or tournament here, but we’re talking about human life,” said German Alexander Sverev.
Is that enough ???
“Women’s voices must be heard, respected, not censored or dictated.”
Fight Steve Simon … Thomas Bach, are you not involved? @iocmedia Beijing 2022 # Where is Ispengwai https://t.co/d2mPdS1gIL
– Nico Mahut (nmahut) November 18, 2021
Several countries, including the United States and France, on Friday, November 19 expressed “concern” over the fate of the Chinese soldier. The UN has provided evidence that he is well.
The official answer
The WTA, which operates the professional tennis circuit for women, has called for a “full, fair and transparent investigation into allegations of sexual violence against Peng Shuai.”
Where is #PengShuai pic.twitter.com/t8SPCrqnMl
– wta (WTA) November 18, 2021
Earlier this week, WTA President Steve Simon said he had been “confirmed by a number of sources, including the Chinese Federation, that he was safe and not under physical threat.” Asked, he did not want to issue statements on the matter, as the Chinese Foreign Ministry did.
Chinese public television releases screenshot of CGTNEmail addressed to Peng Shuai He is also said to have been sent to the WTA leadership. The English channel, which targets foreign viewers, reveals its alleged content: the allegations are “false” and Peng Shuai says he is “resting”. “Everything is fine. Thanks again for checking in with me,” the email concluded. The content of the message and its credibility confused Steve Simon.
Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai has sent an email to WTA President & CEO Steve Simon, CGTN has learned. The email says: pic.twitter.com/uLi6Zd2jDI
– CGTN (CGTNOfficial) November 17, 2021
Four pictures of the tennis champion were posted on the Twitter account on Friday shen_shiwei, Labeled “Media Associated with the Chinese Government” by the social network. A photo shows a player laughing with a cat in his house.
Peng Shuai’s WeChat Moments posted three recent photos and said “Happy weekend”.
His friend shared three photos and a screenshot of Peng’s WeChat moments. pic.twitter.com/tut8CEH6gu
– Shen Shiwei 伟 诗 伟 (@shen_shiwei) November 19, 2021
The Twitter account in question – a social networking site blocked in China – says in English that the photos were privately posted by the player to wish her contacts a “good weekend”.
Hu Jijin, influential editor-in-chief of the Chinese daily Global Times, says the photos confirm Peng Shuai’s “really current photos”. “In recent days, she has been staying free at home and does not want to be disturbed,” he said in English on Twitter, noting that Peng Shuai would “appear in public soon.”
Miss Serena Williams
“I am devastated by the disaster. I hope Peng Shuai is safe and healthy and we will find her as soon as possible. This matter should be investigated and we should not remain silent.
Federer? Christmas? A comment?Where is #PengShuai
– ாயBenoitMaylin November 19, 2021
“Total coffee junkie. Tv ninja. Unapologetic problem solver. Beer expert.”
The UK has not ruled out providing fighter jets to Kiev
Aum Neko, a Thai political refugee, was mysteriously attacked in France
Russian bombing kills at least two in Kramatorsk